Travelling Maggie

My mom says I'm like a hobo.....shes kinda right. These are my adventures as a hobo in NZ!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Zealand

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Settling in

Its been a while since the last post and a lot has happened. Natalie and I got in to Christchurch fine and my friends cousin picked us up from the airport. It has been a Huge blessing to have a contact over here. Dennis has been more than gracious and has gone above and beyond the call of hospitality to strangers. In my few days with Natalie here we were able to do a bit here and there. It was mostly exploring the city, having a little birthday celebration and getting me settled into my place. We were however able to take a day trip to Hamner Springs, because of Dennis' generosity in letting us use his car. There we were able to take a trek then relax in the natural sulfur springs. It was fabulous! It was really nice to have a friend here as I started to get settled in.

As of right now I am living in a house that is a bit worn, but completely livable for the time being. I live with about 10 other people, but I have my own room and that is wonderful. I will be looking for a different place soon, just because this isn't really an ideal long term living environment.
As far as jobs go, I am on the search. I don't think working at a rock gym is going to work, just because there are not any steady full time positions open. But the YMCA wall is looking for volunteers, so I am going to try to do that in my free time. That way I can get free climbing, meet cool people and get experience at a wall. Now I am looking for a job at a hotel or a cafe. I have an interview with a Hospitality placement agency tomorrow morning and I have dropped off my resume to a few places. There is a really cute cafe that is interested in me coming in part time, and I think it would be a fun place to try out. I may end up getting 2 part time jobs, that way I can get experience in a few different areas. As you can tell things are still really up in the air, but starting to take shape.
It has been a bit hard since Natalie left. I am trying to find my place here, and missing home terribly. But I was able to go to 2 different churches yesterday, and that was really refreshing. Both were wonderful and so welcoming. I am going to try them out again next week before I make a choice on which to be a part of. The first church I went to was wonderful. The service was really nice and much different than I am use to. I met some people after the service and they took me along to a potluck lunch and also invited me to an afternoon trek. (I went to this in the morning, so I am very interested to see what the younger evening service is like.) The second church I went to was much younger and much higher energy. I really enjoyed it and the people were once again so friendly. I think I could settle in to either one, its just a matter finding my niche.
So prayers: Please pray for a job in a place that I will fit well and be able to love the people. Pray for opportunity to volunteer at YMCA. A new flat with people that I will get along well with. And finally that next week it will be clear which church I should be a part of.

I love you all and miss you. Please let me know how I can be praying for you as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home