Travelling Maggie

My mom says I'm like a hobo.....shes kinda right. These are my adventures as a hobo in NZ!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Zealand

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Ahhhh updates. These things are getting harder and harder because God is doing so much. There is no way I can fully communicate all that my life is, but I will do my best. So this is another long one, if you want to skim through it I have put the main ideas in bold. I love you all.

Home:
Love it and I am getting along great with my flatmates.
My house is freaking awesome and I have fantastic flatmates. I live in the most beautiful place I have ever see and the community is so fantastic. It was interesting adapting to the cultural norm of co-ed flatting here. I live with to older guys (28 & 35) which sounds a bit scandalous, but it truly isn’t. They are really respectful of me and my space, (I don’t think they have even seen my room,) they are really friendly and they keep the house really tidy! I have gone out with them a few times and really enjoy their company. So that its great. I have been able to get my room in order a bit. There is a recycle center here and it is superb. I got a dresser, mattress, bed frame, sheets, comforter, space heater, a vanity mirror and a hair dryer all for about $80 NZD ($60 US) CRAZY!

Work:
Love love love it. Doing reception but I get to cross train in both café and the wall!
My goodness I love working here. I am working reception right now, which can be slow at times and a lot of cleaning and trying to find little jobs here and there. They have asked me to do some brainstorming for events that they could have there. But the thing that is most exciting is that they are letting me cross train in both the café and the wall. So I get to learn how to make drinks and how to intro people into the wall. I am really hoping to learn how to set routs at some point too. I was climbing with one of my co-workers yesterday and she said that I should make some routs for the “short-asses” (I didn’t even care that she called me that. I was just excited that they wanted me to set a rout!) And I am really enjoying all the people I work with. Also since we are and adventure activity company we will sometimes get these quid-pro-quo deals with other companies. Sometime this month we are taking a staff day and going to do white water sledging (basically boogey boarding down rapids!) and we get to do this for free! Ahhhh so blessed.

Friends:
Starting to make some!!! Haha.
I am starting to meet some people and build friendships here, which is great. I went over too a friends the other night and we cooked dinner had great wine watched a movie and had a slumber party. It was wonderful just to have some fun and much needed girl time. Its really nice working up at the wall because I get to meet climbers that come through. The only bad part is that since I work on Saturdays I haven’t had a chance to go outdoor climbing with anyone yet. But now I have Sundays off so hopefully that will change.

Church:
Still trying to find one.
I tested out one church and really liked the Sunday service but I went to the mid-week prayer and it was full on charismatic. I wasn’t super comfortable there, so I don’t really want to go to a church that I can be fully involved in. Loved the people and again Sunday night was good, but not totally for me. The good news is that work just hired on a new girl so I have Sundays completely off now. And they just added some night hours to my schedule so I will still manage to get 30+ hours!!! God is good!

Side note:
I feel the earth, move, under my feet! Two earthquakes.
I expieranced my first earthquake. On Tuesday early morning (2:30am) we got tremors here from an earthquake in Miford. Apparently it was the biggest one here in a long time. I think it was something like a 2.2. Then later that afternoon there was a second one that wasn’t as strong. I don’t think there was any damage, but it was pretty wicked.


SO this is just barely scratching the surface of what is going on in my life, but you get the idea. I really wish that I could just bring everyone here so that yall could experience all of this first hand and really see how wonderful it is here. I am pretty positive I will stay here the majority of my time here and maybe just take a month or so at the end to tour everything else. And I am sure even with that plan it will be hard to leave. Trying not to think about it too much, its so far off and I need to just enjoy it for what it is right now.

Questions, Comments, Concerns? E-mail me! Mags_02@msn.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home